[WBEL-users] Re: Whitebox-users digest, Vol 1 #279 - 10 msgs

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs@uni-konstanz.de
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:32:33 +0200

whitebox-users-request@beau.org wrote:

> --=-B9V62oXcVJ6/aTnEUGLp
>
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:02, William Hooper wrote:
>

>>Mathieu LUBRANO said:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>

>>>I've been investigating on this segfaults...
>>>

>>>The problem only occurs when I use a 2.4.26 kernel (compiled on the wb
>>>box).  I need to recompile to add 3c515 NIC support. The kernel compilation
>>>goes fine (same config as others RHEL boxes here), the wbox reboots, but
>>>any process calling clone() (fork ?) go segfault.
>>
>>If I had to guess I would say this has to do with the stock kernel not having NPTL.
>

> I agree with William ... you can not use a stock 2.4 kernel with
> whitebox (or any RedHat product with NPTL), without either adding the
> NPTL patch to the kernel, or compiling your own GLIBC from scratch as
> well...
>
> You could use a 2.6 kernel...
>
> My question is ... why use a non-WBEL kernel at all?  I would think that
> if you needed a newer kernel, it would be much better to use a newer
> distro (Like Fedora Core).  Most distros have patched the other core
> packages (like binutils or glibc)  in such a way that the standard
> kernel package does not work correctly without certain patches installed
> (The exceptions that I know of being Slackware and Gentoo).
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> - Johnny Hughes

you can use any standard (vanilla) 2.4.x kernel if you
mv /lib/tls /lib/tls-dontuse

(which won't survive one of the rare glibc updates)
and make sure to use the --force-tls=classic option of the NVIDIA installer (in
case you use it at all).

Why use a standard kernel? One reason could be you want to convert your machines
into a load-balancing cluster (see http://www.mosix.org), or you need special
patches (like the PM_TIMER patch together with amd76_pm).

Kay
--
Kay Diederichs   http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/~kay
email: Kay.Diederichs@uni-konstanz.de  Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183