[WBEL-users] MailScanner

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:37:22 -0500

--=-IDRBslHGI55nOFFftLUc

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 14:13, John Hinton wrote:

> I'm giving MailScanner with ClamAV, SpamAssassin and mailscanner-mrtg a
> test run on a low volume server. I'm wondering about the general
> concensus on running this on a medium volume mailserver, with maybe 50
> to 100 thousand messages per day? Is it a resource hog or not much
> different?

I am running MailScanner / SpamAssassin / ClamAV / Postfix on a Mail
Server that has about 2500 mails per day .... it is also a web server
that serves 5000 pages a day, and doubles as my DNS server / DHCP server
and firewall for a 10 PC network.  The box is a dual processor 2.0 ghz
p4 xeon with 1gb RAM, 160mb/sec scsi drives ... I have no problems.  The
load on this machine is almost always less than 2%.

On another box in front of 3 exchange servers, I scan all incoming  and
outgoing mail (at 15,000-18,000 messages per day ... in each
direction).  This box is a dual processor 2.8ghz p4 xeon with 2gb RAM
and 160mb/sec SCSI.  Uses Spam Assassin / Mailscanner / ClamAV /
Sendmail .... again, no problems.  The load on this machine is almost
always less than 5%.

--=-IDRBslHGI55nOFFftLUc

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373"><I>I'm giving MailScanner with ClamAV, SpamAssassin and mailscanner-mrtg a
test run on a low volume server. I'm wondering about the general
concensus on running this on a medium volume mailserver, with maybe 50
to 100 thousand messages per day? Is it a resource hog or not much
different?</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
I am running MailScanner / SpamAssassin / ClamAV / Postfix on a Mail Server that has about 2500 mails per day .... it is also a web server that serves 5000 pages a day, and doubles as my DNS server / DHCP server and firewall for a 10 PC network.&nbsp; The box is a dual processor 2.0 ghz p4 xeon with 1gb RAM, 160mb/sec scsi drives ... I have no problems.&nbsp; The load on this machine is almost always less than 2%.<BR>
<BR>
On another box in front of 3 exchange servers, I scan all incoming&nbsp; and outgoing mail (at 15,000-18,000 messages per day ... in each direction).&nbsp; This box is a dual processor 2.8ghz p4 xeon with 2gb RAM and 160mb/sec SCSI.&nbsp; Uses Spam Assassin / Mailscanner / ClamAV / Sendmail .... again, no problems.&nbsp; The load on this machine is almost always less than 5%.
</BODY>
</HTML>

--=-IDRBslHGI55nOFFftLUc--