[WBEL-users] Network Management/Monitoring System...

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:22:03 -0500

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 06:05:45PM -0400, Brent Gay wrote:
> Hi,
>    Anyone have any recommendations on OSS network monitoring software
> that can monitor Windows servers, *nix, routers, SNMP, etc. that you
> have successfully rolled out in a production environment and are happy
> with. Thanks in advance!

http://nagios.org

	I've used nagios.  It's highly configurable in what it can
monitor (if you can write a script that returns 0, 1, 2 for various
conditions it can be monitored).

	There are some things that really annoy me about it's
configuration that ends up being a lot of hand work in order to
configure some alerts to be e-mail only, some to be pagers and mail,
and some of them to be only pages during normal waking hours.
That's really annoying.  Other then that, I really like it.  Not
sure if it works under Windows (never seen a Windows client), but it
can monitor ports and ping the machine.  It has a module to
integrate with SNMP and traps, but I've never used that either.

	Dan Wieers (DAG) has some pre-built binaries.  The only
irritating thing about the pre-built binaries, is that they package
a lot of odd ball things together, so if you want "fping"
monitoring, you have to have the RADIUS client libraries installed,
even though you don't care about RADIUS monitoring.

http://www.bb4.org/
	This one, I've heard nice things about, but I've never used it.
Just mentioning it so you can read up on it if you like it.  I think
this has a GPL'ed clone named "Little Sister", but I can't seem to
find it on Google.

	Thanks,
		Kirby