[WBEL-users] mdadm and mdmpd weirdness

Mark Reynolds mark@reynolds.net.au
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:14:32 +0800

Greetings.

I recall someone asking about the mdadm and mdpd processes before,
and upon further investigation, seems that they are md / raid
monitoring daemons.

The idea being that since raid disk setups will silently
sort themselves out (if setup correctly) on a disk failure,
would be nice if the server in question sent you an email
to let you know about a disk failure.

So, suitable init scripts are installed (I think when you
choose the AS (?) install option on initial install, and
all you need to do is edit the last email line of
/etc/mdadm.conf

Problem is, I constantly get

mdadm: bad /proc/mdstat line starts: Event:
mdadm: bad /proc/mdstat line starts: Event:
mdadm: bad /proc/mdstat line starts: Event:
mdadm: bad /proc/mdstat line starts: Event:

So since the script is supposed to be automaticly
smart enough to get your raid config from /etc/raidtab,
it made no sense.

Until today, when I noticed the mention 'Event:' line
in /proc/mdstat

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
Event: 6
md0 : active raid1 sdc1[0] sda1[1]
      1964736 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

and on another WBEL server ....

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
Event: 1
md0 : active raid1 hdd1[1] hdb1[0]
      39078016 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

on another server, RedHat 6.2, where I also use raid1,
no such Event: line is seen

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid1 hdc1[1] hdb1[0] 19551040 blocks [2/2] [UU]
unused devices: <none>

Has anybody here gone into this further than me yet?
Seems that perhaps the /proc/mdstat output has been
modified, without the matching changes to the md monitoring
packages.

thanks

--
Mark Reynolds

Sent through Reynolds Technology IMP http://www.reynolds.net.au/
Configurable spam and virus free email. Anywhere, anytime.