[WBEL-users] RHN up2date desktop applet still not working

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:54:11 -0500 (EST)

Gary Mansell said:
> Everything is hashed out in the sources file apart from the dir line

Hmm.  I wonder if your issue is some kind of fall-back and rhn-applet
doesn't support dir.  I'll have to look into that and get back to you.

> Further info:
>
> If I click the applet icon I get an error message saying unhandled
> exception and a pop up saying: "Your system does not seem to be
> registered with the Redhat Netrwork" with two buttons "Register" or
> "Cancel"

This, unfortunately, is normal.  WB uses the rhn-applet that FC1
originally shipped with that has this bug.  Upgrading to a newer
rhn-applet will fix it.  IIRC you can also touch
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid to make it think you are registered.

> Here is the text of the unhandled exception window:
>
> Exception type exceptions.KeyError
>
> Exception Handler Information
> Traceback (most recent call last):

This is also interesting.  As I said, I will try to look into the dir
support this evening.  In the mean time if you want to try upgrading,
another thing to try would be to set your mirror up as a yum "file:///"
type instead of dir (since I assume you are grabbing the headers in your
rsync anyway).  I've included the "official unofficial" location for the
rhn-applet updates below.  I've been using 2.1.7 since I built my current
WBEL machine and haven't had a problem.  If you are interested I can send
you the location my whitebox-released fixed RPM (off list of course, don't
want to kill my DSL line).

http://people.redhat.com/~veillard/testing/FC1/i386/rhn-applet/

--
William Hooper