[WBEL-users] NIS Server Problem

Will Senn will_senn@comcast.net
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:34:48 -0600

Michiel van Es wrote:

> Will Senn wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Does anyone have ypserv running in their whitebox environment? If so,
>> in a nutshell, what did it take to get it working? When I run ypserv
>> it doesn't start and doesn't display any errors. I only modified a
>> couple of files and I double/triple checked the changes and even
>> backed out the non-critical changes. I was using standard login and a
>> local resolving/cacheing dns for name lookups before I embarked on
>> this odyssee.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> Yes I do..configured /etc/yp.conf , touched and configured an
> /var/lib/yp/securenets file, did an /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m
> started portmap,ypbind and then as last the ypserv.
> Try this page..I had the exact problem like you..when following the
> steps on this page you will find that ypserv will start up correctly:
> http://bradthemad.ath.cx/tech/notes/redhat_nis_setup.php
>
> M.

Michael,

Thanks the link and your comments have me pretty convinced that my quest
is not in vain. I'll give it another shot before moving on to LDAP. I
also found the RHEL 3 documentation and although it doesn't have much on
yp, it is a treasure trove of information on the os and other tools.

Thanks,

Will