[WBEL-users] Can't upgrade RH8

Mark Reynolds mark@reynolds.net.au
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:27:36 +0800

My understanding is that there is no 'upgrade'
option, period.

I normally personally start with a new server,
and then copy required stuff across.

I'm told many people do something similar, by
installing WBEL and RHEL to a new disk/partition,
and then mounting the old partitions, from
your previous OS install. Of course, this
method requires that you created all those
dirs in the first place, so that you can mount
and unmount in different place as required.

Obvious dirs in question would be /home & /usr
or perhaps /usr/local. All depends.

As you can guess, I'm not that well organised :-)
However, my method allows you to keep old server
up and running online, while you create, test,
install, try to break etc, the new replacement
server, in a completely non-destructive way. And
then if you decide after the cut-over that you
want to go back to the old server for some reason,
you just flip it back, probably by adjusting IP
address to suit. When you're happy, you can erase
the original server, and re-cycle for some new
purpose. Or move onto the next upgrade ...

regards

--
Mark Reynolds