[WBEL-users] RH Desktop

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Wed, 5 May 2004 01:52:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Kirby Bohling wrote:

> 	I trust RedHat's technical merit, but I'm very reluctant to go
> back to them.  They left people high and dry with no upgrade path
> out of RedHat 9 to a supported platform.

Actually, I knew that RH8 & RH9 were dead ends and never left RH7.3 while
searching for a way out.

The machines at work are one thing.  They never generated RH a penny in
revenue.  However my personal laptop was on a paid RHN entitlement right
up till they EOLed me on Dec 31 with no reasonable upgrade path.  That is
the one that bugs me, since I was a paying customer being told to FOAD.
To be honest, at one point they did offer me a two year buyin to RHEL
WS..... at twice the annual rate I had been paying for RHN for RH7.3.

> 	RedHat just increased their pricing an order of magnitude, and
> left anyone who was willing to pay for the products but don't want
> support, no way to contribute to the company.

I know, the primary reason I kept my laptop on RHN was to put some coin in
their account. It wasn't like I didn't know where redhat's mirrors were.
It was like buying the current box set from their booth when I'd get to go
to a trade show back in the 90's.  But hey, perhaps they don't need us
anymore.  Just look at their stock price...

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!