[WBEL-users] X windows stops working after kernel recompile

Thu, 06 May 2004 04:51:29 -0500

--=-M1+p39x8fkuYd+E/T8cl

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 20:15, Ed wrote:

> Poe Chen wrote:
> > Thanks Ed for your reply.  I think I've found the cause of this error.
> >
> > The problem is the nptl patch of RedHat kernel.  The vanilla 2.4 kernel
> > doesn't have nptl patch, and applications crash with it.
> >
> > The only main reason I want to use kernel 2.4 is to add OpenSWAN 1.0.3
> > patch.
> >
> > So here are my questions:
> >
> > -Any quick fix for this nptl problem?  I tried
> > "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.26" but the applications still crash.
> >
> > -Any 2.4 nptl patch I can use?  It looks like I need to use 2.6 kernel
> > instead of 2.4 because RedHat backports the nptl.

I don't know of a quick fix (other than not to use anything other than
the RedHat kernel).  The glibc on RedHat has been compiled with glibc
support and that causes many programs not to work with a standard
kernel.

You can use:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

(with the redhat kernel, at least) to have the redhat not use ntpl (but
instead use
Linuxthreads with floating stacks) ... but I haven't tried using it on a
non RedHat kernel.

-Johnny Hughes

> Have you tried patching the RedHat kernel?  Or, you can get their nptl
> patch from it.
>
>    Ed
>

> > Thanks a lot,
> >

> > Poe