[WBEL-users] rebuilding kernel with e1000

Mário Gamito gamito@netual.pt
Sun, 9 May 2004 22:05:14 +0100

Hi,

This not the way to recompile a kernel that cames with any distro.
This is the way to compile a vanilla kernel.

What you have to do is download and install the SRPM of the kernel source.
Then, edit kernel.spec in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS, add what you want and then
run
rpmbuild -ba kernel.spec
Next, run "rpm -Uvh the_new_kernel.rpm" that is in now in
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS
Give a check in /boot/grub/grub.conf just to rest assured that everything is
ok.
Reboot

That´s all.

The errors you are getting is because of the order of the bazzilion patches
that distros include in their kernel, that must be respected. Doing the way
you were doing, always fails in any distro.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito