[WBEL-users] replacing rh kernel with vanilla kernel implications

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Tue, 11 May 2004 10:16:58 -0400

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 09:05, Matt Grab wrote:
> If I replace the kernel with a vanilla kernel, which is compiled for uml skas,
> will it cause problems being out of sync with the up2date repositories?

You can still load/test new kernels from the repositories without
conflicts - up2date/yum won't see your custom kernel if it's not a
package, and are pretty good about not clobbering the GRUB default if
you have one installed.

> Secondly, if I replace the kernel with a vanilla kernel, essentially removing
> redhat's patches, what, if anything, will that break?

Have not found breakage, but no guarantees.  Try it and see, and leave
one or more distribution kernels as fall-backs.

Phil