[WBEL-users] Security updates

Raimo Koski rk@raimokoski.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:41:37 +0300

Milan Kers(la'ger wrote:

> I'm a little bit unsatisfied with persistent troubles with WBEL. So I
> want to point you to CentOS because this community project are able to
> cooperate and is not depended on one owerworked person (even has been
> slower before final release). All updates are ready a short time after
> release (with priority for security updates). Because binary (and
> source) compatibilty, this seems to be easy to switch.

I lost interest in cAos before they released CentOS. It seemed without
following it much that they had a common community problem, too much
enthusiasm and/or opinions and too little people who do the actual work.
It might be different now, but of the ones I currently follow, Tao
x86-64 and Lineox provide updates fastest. Update 2 for Lineox was ready
15.05.2004 10:05 GMT. Lineox has the advantage of automated generating
of binary packages. The system could be made faster, but I think
eliminating single point of failures like non-redundant Internet
connections would be more important improvements. Also waiting a while
to get error reports is sensible. Update 2 had a broken sendmail
package, which I had time to erase because compiling the whole batch
took so long.

The best way to increase compile times would be to use distcc
(http://distcc.samba.org/), but I would have to first compile at least
several packages with it and compare them to ones compiled without it. I
once tried Openmosix to speed up compile times and it didn't help at all.

--
Raimo Koski  http://www.lineox.com/  http://www.raimokoski.com/