[WBEL-users] Migration to WBL 3 from Redhat

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Fri, 21 May 2004 10:07:21 -0400

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 08:47, Tom Cooper hijacked the "Running up2date"
thread to write (-:
> I recently migrated a couple of RH boxes to WBL 3.  I've had some good
> experiences with this.
>
> I basically followed the process in a handy whitepaper on the IBM site
> documented here:
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/linux/pdfs/rhel3_upgrade.pdf

Nice link with some good hints - Thanks Tom and IBM - but a direct
upgrade might be easier:

http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-users/2004-March/000898.html

> I did an upgrade in place without reformatting the filesystems, and one
> thing that I've noticed is that there are rpm's in the rpm db that were
> for the redhat installation.  If you're planning an upgrade-in-place,
> I'd recommend removing/renaming the rpm database directory prior to
> installation of wbl on that filesystem.  If you don't, I've had good
> experience with rpm -e on the old versions.  So far I haven't trashed my
> box.

The above link also has some hints about how to find obsolete packages
to upgrade or remove without resorting the the rather drastic step of
removing the rpm database.

Phil