[WBEL-users] RPM Database Corruption, etc.

Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com
Mon, 24 May 2004 16:29:55 -0500

--=_alternative 0076287B86256E9E_=

Try doing this to rebuild your rpm database:  It should be the cure-all
for whatever the problem is.

killall -9 rpm rpmb rpmd rpme rpmi rpmk rpmq rpmt rpmu rpmv;
rm -rf /var/lib/rpm*.* /var/lib/rpm/__db* /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb*.*;
rpm -v --rebuilddb &

"Ladar Levison" <Ladar.Levison@imaginesolutions.com>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
05/24/2004 04:07 PM

<whitebox-users@beau.org>
cc

Subject
[WBEL-users] RPM Database Corruption, etc.

I recently switched from RH9 to WBEL, and I've noticed a couple of
possible bugs. But more importantly I seem to have corrupted my RPM
database by trying to install a RHEL Postfix RPM package. Whenever I try
to run any rpm commands "rpm -qa" for example, rpm hangs for several
minutes before I finall kill it with "kill -9". I've experienced this
problem before, and I don't know a good way of fixing it. I've tried
"rpm --initdb" and "rpm --rebuilddb" but both have failed. Does anyone
have any other suggestions?

On a side note, can someone tell me if these are bugs? In the directory
/var/named/chroot/ several named config files are setup for chroot
operation, but when I update the equivalents in, for example
/etc/named.conf the updates aren't propogated over. I am guessing these
files are supposed to be either soft or hard linked, but that doesn't
appear to be the case. Is this a bug or a user error?

After I installed WBEL I copied over my Postfix config file. That didn't
seem to work, so I tried going back to the original rpm file, and just
setting the needed settings. My maillog got populated with this error
message (and others like it) :

May 18 14:39:52 staci postfix/smtpd[5083]: warning: connect #1 to
subsystem /var
/spool/postfix/private/proxymap: No such file or directory

Anyone have any ideas on that one?

Thanks,
L~

P.S. Hopefully someone can fix my rpm problem, I'd hate to have to
reinstall. As for the Postfix problems, I am resigning to the fact that
I just might need to do an install from source.

--=_alternative 0076287B86256E9E_=

&nbsp;It should be the cure-all for whatever the problem is.</font>
rpmq rpmt rpmu rpmv; </font>
/var/lib/rpmrebuilddb*.*; </font>
&lt;Ladar.Levison@imaginesolutions.com&gt;</b> </font>
Corruption, etc.</font></table>
I recently switched from RH9 to WBEL, and I've noticed a couple of<br>
possible bugs. But more importantly I seem to have corrupted my RPM<br>
database by trying to install a RHEL Postfix RPM package. Whenever I try<br>
to run any rpm commands &quot;rpm -qa&quot; for example, rpm hangs for
several<br>
minutes before I finall kill it with &quot;kill -9&quot;. I've experienced
this<br>
problem before, and I don't know a good way of fixing it. I've tried<br>
&quot;rpm --initdb&quot; and &quot;rpm --rebuilddb&quot; but both have
failed. Does anyone<br>
have any other suggestions?<br>
On a side note, can someone tell me if these are bugs? In the directory<br>
/var/named/chroot/ several named config files are setup for chroot<br>
operation, but when I update the equivalents in, for example<br>
/etc/named.conf the updates aren't propogated over. I am guessing these<br>
files are supposed to be either soft or hard linked, but that doesn't<br>
appear to be the case. Is this a bug or a user error?<br>
After I installed WBEL I copied over my Postfix config file. That didn't<br>
seem to work, so I tried going back to the original rpm file, and just<br>
setting the needed settings. My maillog got populated with this error<br>
message (and others like it) :<br>
May 18 14:39:52 staci postfix/smtpd[5083]: warning: connect #1 to<br>
subsystem /var<br>
/spool/postfix/private/proxymap: No such file or directory<br>
Anyone have any ideas on that one?<br>
Thanks,<br>
L~<br>
P.S. Hopefully someone can fix my rpm problem, I'd hate to have to<br>
reinstall. As for the Postfix problems, I am resigning to the fact that<br>
I just might need to do an install from source.<br>