[WBEL-users] RPM Database Corruption, etc.

Tom Cooper tcooper@starpower.net
Mon, 24 May 2004 22:21:58 -0400

Ladar Levison wrote:

>I recently switched from RH9 to WBEL, and I've noticed a couple of
>possible bugs. But more importantly I seem to have corrupted my RPM
>database by trying to install a RHEL Postfix RPM package. Whenever I try
>to run any rpm commands "rpm -qa" for example, rpm hangs for several
>minutes before I finall kill it with "kill -9". I've experienced this
>problem before, and I don't know a good way of fixing it. I've tried
>"rpm --initdb" and "rpm --rebuilddb" but both have failed. Does anyone
>have any other suggestions?

There's a particularly nasty RPM bug in the version of RPM that ships
with RHES (and by proxy WBEL.)  The important thing to do is to get the
upgraded RPM engine on your box.  The corrected version is 4.2.2.
There are some tips here: http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/rpmv3tv4/ that
may help you get the RPM database back up and running.  I've had about
50/50 success with rebuilddb under WBEL.  It depends how munged the db
is before you start.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tom Cooper