[WBEL-users] startup control

Graham Purcocks grahamp@wsieurope.com
Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:22:11 +0000

--------------010607010909030101050508

True but the user asked for a replacement for a GUI version which there
is. I also use chkconfig but some like the confort of tools. Redhat
provide a load of them and all knowledge is useful. Its up the the user
which they want to use.

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:49 +0000, Graham Purcocks wrote:
>
>>So now I've learned.
>>
>>So the answer is -
>>
>>use
>>
>>redhat-config-services
>>

> I continue to use chkconfig ... i mean, how hard is:
>
> chkconfig --list mysql
>
> or
>
> chkconfig --level 2345 mysql on
> chkconfig --level 016 mysql off
>
> {most of my servers don't have GUI installed...heck, most don't even
> have a monitor or keyboard :), and chkconfig works well enough that I
> don't need to install a GUI, monitor, keyboard and mouse and use
> redhat-config-services}
>

>>which have been the prefered tools since RH9
>>
>>locate redhat-config
>>
>>and see the plethora of other useful tools.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Thanks Tres for the history lesson :)
>>
>>Graham
>>
>>Tres Seaver wrote:

>>>'ntsysv' was a console GUI application, similar to the X-based
>>>'redhat-config-services' GUI.

>>># uname -a
>>>Linux xyz.example.com 2.4.21-15.0.4.EL #1 Wed Aug 4 13:47:17 EDT 2004
>>>i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>>>[root@xyz root]# rpm -qi ntsysv
>>>Name        : ntsysv                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
>>>Version     : 1.3.11                            Vendor: whiteboxlinux.org
>>>Release     : 0.3                           Build Date: Tue 14 Sep 2004
>>>02:33:39 PM EDT
>>>Install Date: Mon 20 Sep 2004 06:06:40 AM EDT      Build Host:
>>>bob.whiteboxlinux.org
>>>Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
>>>chkconfig-1.3.11-0.3.src.rpm
>>>Size        : 19737                            License: GPL
>>>Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 16 Sep 2004 08:15:06 PM EDT, Key ID
>>>ae52a76d73307de6Summary     : A tool to set the stop/start of system
>>>services in a runlevel.
>>>Description :
>>>Ntsysv provides a simple interface for setting which system services
>>>are started or stopped in various runlevels (instead of directly
>>>manipulating the numerous symbolic links in /etc/rc.d). Unless you
>>>specify a runlevel or runlevels on the command line (see the man
>>>page), ntsysv configures the current runlevel (5 if you're using X).
>>>

>>>Try 'yum install ntsysv'.
>>>
>>>Tres.

--------------010607010909030101050508

begin:vcard
fn:Graham Purcocks
n:Purcocks;Graham
org:WSI Ltd;Engineering
adr:Hockley;;22-24 Vittoria Street;Birmingham;W.Midlands;B1 3PE;U.K.
email;internet:grahamp@wsieurope.com
title:Consultant Engineer
tel;work:+44 121 233 7600
tel;fax:+44 121 233 7666