[WBEL-users] Creating ISO images from CDs

Alfred von Campe alfred@110.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:06:44 -0500

> Use "isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom" on the cd. You'll likely see that the
> logical block size is 2048. Doing a dd with bs=2048 should rip the
> .iso properly. It has worked for me many times.

No, that created an ISO image of the same size as the others.  I think
Chris Audley hit the nail on the head in his response:

> Added an "Add post-gap to 3rd party .ISO images" to the "Advanced"
> properties tab: if a post-gap (75 empty blocks) is not added at the end
> of an .ISO image, the last file in the image may not be red correctly.
>
> See http://www.padus.com/products/discjuggler/standard/history_830.php
>
> So the extra bytes were probably added to the image on the disk during
> the burning process.  Now any attempt to retrieve the image from the
> disk will include the extra blocks.

Geez, there is that number 75 again.  Can't be a coincidence!

> You can use head to retrieve the correct number of bytes from the file
> and see if that gets you your original image (head -c 657719296
> wbel3-1.iso > out.iso).

DING! DING! DING! DING!  We have a winner.  Truncating the ISO image to
the same size as the original ISO image did the trick -- even the MD5
sums match up.  Case closed!

Thanks everyone for all their help,
Alfred