[WBEL-users] How to uninstall an rpm package which has dependencies?

Jean Lee jean.lee@free.fr
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:48:24 +0100

Hello all,

I think that what I want is not so hard but I really don't know how to
do it.

My problem is that I want to unintsall openssh-3.6.1p2 which is
installed as an rpm package and then install openssh-3.9p1-chroot which
is a tarball (it is a patched version of  Openssh-3.9p1 with added
chroot functionnality).

Well, I tried first to uninstall openssh-3.6.1p2 with :
rpm -e openssh
and this command failed due to dependencies to other packages :
openssh-server, openssh-client, netdump and a few others related to
openssh...

I'm sure that I am doing something wrong. Perhaps that I can firstly
uninstall the packages related to openssh but the one with netdump is
probably not recommended.. Moreover, I tried to uninstall openssh-server
and it failed due to a dependency to netdump-server.

What is the right way? Do I have really to uninstall every package which
has a dependency before uninstalling openssh or is there another way
which ensure that nothing will be broken?

Thanks for any help,

Jean