[WBEL-users] How to uninstall an rpm package which has dependencies?

Graham Purcocks grahamp@wsieurope.com
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:58:18 +0000

--------------020706080507080506010404

Using --nodeps mearly allows you to remove the package you wish. After
that you are on your own because you are ignoring the fact that other
packages depend on it. I cannot guarantee that reinstalling the new
package will still work.

Didn't I read something similar to this over the weekend. Check the
archives. It was about Redhat back porting important changes, so are you
sure that you really need to upgrade?

Bottom line is, if you move from the standard installation you are on
your own unless someone else on the list has done the same thing.

Not much help, I'm afraid.

Jean Lee wrote:
> And using nodeps won't create any problem with netdump after
> reinstalling Openssh (or do I have to be careful with some shared
> libraries)?
>
> Thank you
>
> Graham Purcocks wrote:
>
>> No nothing wrong. You can't uninstall openssh as the packages it
>> mentions depends on it. So you either force uninstall or remove the
>> dependant packages as well at the same time. I suspect you want the
>> first. Use --nodeps.
>>
>> Try reading 'man rpm' on the section on ERASEING packages. This may
>> give you more insight.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Jean Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I think that what I want is not so hard but I really don't know how
>>> to do it.
>>>
>>> My problem is that I want to unintsall openssh-3.6.1p2 which is
>>> installed as an rpm package and then install openssh-3.9p1-chroot
>>> which is a tarball (it is a patched version of  Openssh-3.9p1 with
>>> added chroot functionnality).
>>>
>>> Well, I tried first to uninstall openssh-3.6.1p2 with :
>>> rpm -e openssh
>>> and this command failed due to dependencies to other packages :
>>> openssh-server, openssh-client, netdump and a few others related to
>>> openssh...
>>>
>>> I'm sure that I am doing something wrong. Perhaps that I can firstly
>>> uninstall the packages related to openssh but the one with netdump is
>>> probably not recommended.. Moreover, I tried to uninstall
>>> openssh-server and it failed due to a dependency to netdump-server.
>>>
>>> What is the right way? Do I have really to uninstall every package
>>> which has a dependency before uninstalling openssh or is there
>>> another way which ensure that nothing will be broken?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>>
>>> Jean

--------------020706080507080506010404

begin:vcard
fn:Graham Purcocks
n:Purcocks;Graham
org:WSI Ltd;Engineering
adr:Hockley;;22-24 Vittoria Street;Birmingham;W.Midlands;B1 3PE;U.K.
email;internet:grahamp@wsieurope.com
title:Consultant Engineer
tel;work:+44 121 233 7600
tel;fax:+44 121 233 7666