[WBEL-users] How to uninstall an rpm package which has dependencies?

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 04:05:22 -0800

Matt Dainty wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 10:58, Graham Purcocks wrote:
>
>>Didn't I read something similar to this over the weekend. Check the
>>archives. It was about Redhat back porting important changes, so are you
>>sure that you really need to upgrade?
>
> Yup, number one popular misconception I'd say. Get the bugfixes without
> being sprung with new functionality unexpectedly.

I personally fear for the wget/configure/make/makezlilo kernel upgraders
who happen to miss out on about 7Mb of added patches and customization.
  Ya know?  I blame bugtraq and friends for that one, too:  Folks get
reading, and decide that they *need* the new Version XYZ or they *can't*
possibly be safe.  Meanwhile, RH/Mdk/CL are testing a backported patch,
and people who really never stressed about it all get an upgrade for
doing Nothing.

Herd membership is nice while the herd's still moving.

And since EVERY distro does the backport dance, you think folks'd've
figured it out by now, eh?

  - bish

--
	To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or
	that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not