[WBEL-users] Roaming profiles

Andrew Vong andrewvong@finpress.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:50:58 +0800

--=====================_159466233==_.ALT

Johnny,

Thanks for the link. It's very useful and comprehensive. I'm sure it'll
help a lot of newbies like myself with to get started with it.

Regarding your question on how to use Samba 3 as a Win2000 ADS domain
controller, I'm afraid it's not yet possible. I've bought a number of books
on Samba and here's a quote from one of them.
"Samba's support for more recent domain-like tools, such as Active
Directory (AD), is quite limited. Samba can be a member of an AD domain,
but it can't function as an AD domain controller. Samba's tools for
handling the older NT-style domains are much more complete."

Got it on pg. 261 of "The Definitive Guide to Samba 3" by Roderick W. Smith

Here's the link -->
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590592778/qid=1100087044/sr=8
-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-6458473-5570316?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Another quote from pg. 49 of "The Official Samba-3 HowTo and Reference
Guide" by John H. Terpstra and Jelmer R. Vernooij.

Amazon Link -->
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131453556/ref=pd_sim_b_2/104-
6458473-5570316?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

"Samba-3 is not, and cannot act as, an Active Directory Server. It cannot
truly function as an Active Directory Primary Domain Controller. The
protocols for some of the functionality of Active Directory Domain
Controllers has been partially implemented on an experimental only basis.
Please do not expect Samba-3 to support these protocols. Do not depend on
any such functionality either now or in the future. The Samba Team may
remove these experimental features or may change their behavior. This is
mentioned for the benefit of those who have discovered secret capabilities
in Samba-3 and who have asked when this functionality will be completed.
The answer is maybe or maybe never!

To be sure, Samba-3 is designed to provide most of the functionality that
Microsoft Windows NT4-style Domain Controllers have. Samba-3 does not have
all the capabilities of Windows NT4, but it does have a number of features
that Windows NT4 domain controllers do not have. In short, Samba-3 is not
NT4 and it is not Windows Server 200x, it is not an Active Directory
server. We hope this is plain and simple enough for all to understand."

The link to the text above is here -->
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html#id
2518262

Regards,
Andrew

At 04:46 AM 10/11/2004 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 10:30 -0500, Joe Aldeguer wrote:
> > I'm mulling over the idea of replacing my Microsoft Windows
> > 2000 server Active Directory with Samba. I'm tired of dealing
> > with expensive server, client licenses.  I am already using White
> > Box 3.0 ES for our internal website, proxy server, SMTP, Webmail.
> > The ease of using roaming profile using MS AD is the only thing
> > holding me back.
> >
> > Have you been successful implemeting roaming profiles using Samba
> > and what are the pit falls? Most of my users use Win2k Pro and XP.
> >
> > Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Joe
>
>My understanding with the current version of samba is that it can not be
>a Windows 2000 ADS domain controller ... only as an NT 4 type PDC / BDC.
>Anyone know of a way to make a samba machine be a Windows 2000 ADS
>domain controller?
>
>Using NT4 roaming profiles is not hard ... and my WhiteBox samba PDC
>guide does do it:
>
>  http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/24/2/Site_News
>
>So if a NT4 type domain is OK, then using samba will work.
>
>If someone knows how to use samba as a Win2000 ADS domain controller,
>please post links :)
>
>--
>Johnny Hughes
><http://www.HughesJR.com/>

--=====================_159466233==_.ALT

Johnny,<br>
Thanks for the link. It's very useful and comprehensive. I'm sure it'll
help a lot of newbies like myself with to get started with it.<br>
Regarding your question on how to use Samba 3 as a Win2000 ADS domain
controller, I'm afraid it's not yet possible. I've bought a number of
books on Samba and here's a quote from one of them. <br>
<dl>
<dd>&quot;Samba's support for more recent domain-like tools, such as
Active Directory (AD), is quite limited. Samba can be a member of an AD
domain, but it can't function as an AD domain controller. Samba's tools
for handling the older NT-style domains are much more
complete.&quot;<br>
</dl>Got it on pg. 261 of &quot;The Definitive Guide to Samba 3&quot; by
Roderick W. Smith<br>
Here's the link --&gt;<br>
Another quote from pg. 49 of &quot;The Official Samba-3 HowTo and
Reference Guide&quot; by John H. Terpstra and Jelmer R. Vernooij. <br>
Amazon Link --&gt; <br>
<dl>
<dd>&quot;Samba-3 is not, and cannot act as, an Active Directory Server.
It cannot truly function as an Active Directory Primary Domain
Controller. The protocols for some of the functionality of Active
Directory Domain Controllers has been partially implemented on an
experimental only basis. Please do not expect Samba-3 to support these
protocols. Do not depend on any such functionality either now or in the
future. The Samba Team may remove these experimental features or may
change their behavior. This is mentioned for the benefit of those who
have discovered secret capabilities in Samba-3 and who have asked when
this functionality will be completed. The answer is maybe or maybe
never!<br>

<dd>To be sure, Samba-3 is designed to provide most of the functionality
that Microsoft Windows NT4-style Domain Controllers have. Samba-3 does
not have all the capabilities of Windows NT4, but it does have a number
of features that Windows NT4 domain controllers do not have. In short,
Samba-3 is not NT4 and it is not Windows Server 200x, it is not an Active
Directory server. We hope this is plain and simple enough for all to
understand.&quot;<br>
</dl>The link to the text above is here --&gt;
Regards,<br>
Andrew<br>
At 04:46 AM 10/11/2004 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:<br>
Aldeguer wrote:<br>
&gt; I'm mulling over the idea of replacing my Microsoft Windows<br>
&gt; 2000 server Active Directory with Samba. I'm tired of dealing<br>
&gt; with expensive server, client licenses.&nbsp; I am already using
White<br>
&gt; Box 3.0 ES for our internal website, proxy server, SMTP,
Webmail.<br>
&gt; The ease of using roaming profile using MS AD is the only
thing<br>
&gt; holding me back.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Have you been successful implemeting roaming profiles using
Samba<br>
&gt; and what are the pit falls? Most of my users use Win2k Pro and
XP.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Joe<br>
My understanding with the current version of samba is that it can not
be<br>
a Windows 2000 ADS domain controller ... only as an NT 4 type PDC /
BDC.<br>
Anyone know of a way to make a samba machine be a Windows 2000 ADS<br>
domain controller?<br>
Using NT4 roaming profiles is not hard ... and my WhiteBox samba
PDC<br>
guide does do it:<br>
&nbsp;<a href="http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/24/2/Site_News" eudora="autourl">http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/24/2/Site_News</a><br>
So if a NT4 type domain is OK, then using samba will work.<br>
If someone knows how to use samba as a Win2000 ADS domain
controller,<br>
please post links :)<br>
-- <br>
Johnny Hughes<br>