[WBEL-users] Enterprise Managment Suggestions

Tony tony@instaview.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:15:14 -0500

This is where I'm coming from:

I have a setup that will be about 500 workstations, and a handfull of servers.
About 500 or so users as well.

What we need is a way to *centrally* manage the PCs and users, not the
traditional Unix way of managing them on the workstation.. ( running them as
dumb X terminals isn't the solution here, due to bandwidth ). That sort of
'management' just isn't practical at this level.

By 'manage' the users:  central database of logins, and policy rights. LDAP
makes the most sence here of course. All workstations need to hit the LDAP
server for authentication, and 'policies'.

Need the ability to create and manage the 'directory' from several locations
( this part isn't hard i realize as LDAP can be accessed remotely. )

I'm still messing with kiosk mode for KDE for desktop control, and if that
does a good enough job ill want to head that direction as well, but that
would need to also tie back to groups defined in the 'directrory server'.

Manage the desktops:  Again, central database control. Need to be able to
create groups of workstations, so as to install/remove applications with out
having to touch each workstation manually, ( even remotely ).

I know things such as ssh and webmin can do this remotely, but its still a
manual, one by one process.

I guess it just boils down to managing the entire enterprise via 'policies',
from a central location.. not ever having to touch a PC manually unless it
dies, and having *all* software policy, and login information stored on a
central directory.

Those of us from a large windows enterprise know what I'm talking about
when i speak of SMS, GPO and AD.. thats what i want to emulate, as much
as is possible..

Enterprise monitoring, thats taken care of as there are plenty of 'enterprise'
monitoring tools..