[WBEL-users] Enterprise Managment Suggestions

Jesse j@lumiere.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:01:03 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Tony wrote:

> I have a setup that will be about 500 workstations, and a handfull of servers.
> About 500 or so users as well.
>
> What we need is a way to *centrally* manage the PCs and users, not the
>
> By 'manage' the users:  central database of logins, and policy rights. LDAP
> makes the most sence here of course. All workstations need to hit the LDAP
> server for authentication, and 'policies'.

You may want to check out radmind at
http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/radmind/

It uses policies to manage the filesystems of groups of unix machines. It
can also detect changes in files (integrity checking). You manage machines
by describing the 'loadsets' they consist of. The loadsets are stored on a
remote/central server. You can make a change on the server and have it
reflected on all the appropriate machines.

I haven't used it much myself yet but I've heard lots of good things and
been looking into using it myself.

Best regards,