[WBEL-users] SSH as an FTP server

Jean Lee jean.lee@free.fr
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:05:03 +0100

Hello Brett,

Jail and chrootssh have not the same function. Jail is a general binary
to chroot a user but chrootssh is a patch to apply to OpenSSH.
I have not yet the answer about which is better.
I succeed in creating a chrooted sftp using Jail but not with chrootssh
(I suppose it is because there were the library /etc/lib.so.cache to
copy to chrootdir/etc (to make sftp working) and I only saw it when I
tried Jail. Then I have not the time to test chrootssh anymore)

I have one question for you :

How did you set up the permissions in your chrooted environnement ?
I suppose that the user should be able to write in his home directory
but not in the others so I set root to be the owner to all the
directories with 755 permissions except the home directory and
subfolders which are owned by the user with 700 permissions.
However, I think that it is not good that an executable could be wrotten
in the home directory because a malicious intruder could go out of the
chrooted environnement by writing and executing an suid binary.
What do you think about it ?

Thank you for your answer,

Jean