[WBEL-users] Rsync Updates Organizing

David Mir mir@soartech.com
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:04:05 -0500

Sorry I sent this out on Monday but used wrong reply address so it never got
posted |-) .

After reading through the mailing list archives, trying several servers and
comparing packages to RHEL3 I realized that Whitebox Repository packages are
not being updated (I saw the post from Vikki).  One of my biggest fears in
choosing a RHEL clone was that the support for packages would stop.  Before I
start getting flames back....stop and save your energy.... I'm very grateful
and not complaining but I believe that Whitebox has a pretty big base.

According to distrowatch:
Top 5 RHEL-based distributions
1. White Box Enterprise Linux
2. CentOS
3. Lineox Enterprise Linux
4. Tao Linux
5. Fermi Linux

But all these other distros have the updated packages, again put down the
keyboard and stop the flame reply, I'm getting to my point soon.  With all
these people using this distro, there should be no excuse for this! John and
Vikki can't be expected to do this all by themselves.  Yes I know I should
have posted this to the dev list but I think more people look at this list.
This is the time to create a structure to have the users set up RPMS.  I, for
one, volunteer my services/bandwidth(cable modem anyway :-P)/server/time to
compile the packages and upload them to a central rsync server to propagate
to all the others.   So if anyone knows the best way to set this up please
feel free to post this, it would save me the time to find out.  I think what
we need is:

1) Easiest way to get new released SRPMS for RHEL (obviously an automated
process not "goto RH web site")

2) Automated way for compiling SRPMS and for the different supported
 platforms

3) Way to keep track who has what SRPMS (I mean how many SRPMS does RH
release?  if it is not too much I would do it all)

4) Testing and QA on RPMS also Checksum sig etc.

If anyone else thinks other things should be added feel free to add to the
list.

Again I'm just here to make the distro better not to bad mouth (beside I have
updated about 20 workstations to whitebox I would hate to have to switch).

--
David Mir
Sys Admin