[WBEL-users] I don't want a community

Bob Ramstad rramstad@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:44:12 -0800

Hi there.

The subject line may be a bit strong, but I think we've got a bit of a
cultural issue here.

Personally, I don't want a community which contributes updates and
what not.  I want a centralized single point from which all updates
come from.  I want to know that WBEL is stable, and this is critical
to me, much more so than getting updates quickly.

It is precisely the strong central control that attracts me to WBEL.

If I wanted community involvement with thousands of optional RPMs and
competing versions of things, I'd use a different distro.

Now, of course this mailing list is nice in terms of exchanging
information, pointers, tips and stuff like that... and so in that
sense a WBEL community is a good worthwhile thing.

Also of course, the current situation in regards to mirrors and timely
access to updates is suboptimal.

That said, I don't see any benefit to be gained from having random
members of the community rolling their own RPMs and effectively
forking WBEL.  If you want to do it, go ahead, but I'm sure I won't be
the only one who ignores it and waits for real WBEL RPMs instead.

-- Bob