[WBEL-users] Can we have a simple summary of the updates situation

Mir mir@soartech.com
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:02:47 -0500

I think with out speaking for the developing team I can say from what I
seen:

1) It is just a glitch, I emailed NCSU.edu and they said it should be fixed
by next week.

2) AFAIK WhiteBox is still an ongoing project, since I have seen nothing
different from either vikki or john.

3) This is completely up to you, one of the reasons I chose whitebox
(actually the major reason) is because it had (and still does according to
distrowatch at least) the biggest install base.  Meaning it is more likely
that forums are active (as you can see sometimes TOO active, which I think
is a good thing :) and support easier to find.  What I have found recently
is that the developers, and they have every right to do this, want to keep
development team small to maintain control (which again I think is fine).
AFA whether to switch or not....well that is up to you.  I personally have
installed whitebox on too many machines to really want to switch right now,
and besides I like the distro and the people using it.  As for the updates,
it seems in light of the fact that the development team is small they can
get backed up but I have seen at least one post from vikki saying they are
intending to catch once they have the time, or if a really serious security
update crops up (not just cups or mozilla feature updates etc.).  I have
been using white box now since early this year and this is the first time I
have seen a delay in updates and it's not really that bad...maybe 2 weeks
behind?? Maybe?? Something like that, but again nothing major has been
released for which they have not had an update.

On another note I have been downloading the updates SRPMS (from RHEL3) and
set-up an Rsync Server.  Once I have completely synced the SRPMS I will
start to compile using the same techniques listed on this site.  Once I have
installed and tested the RPMS I will release the server info, how I compiled
etc. on this list.  Again just for people who NEED updates like the newest
mozilla etc. (kinda like DAG but just for the WB crowd and ONLY RH released
SRPMS ;-)  No, it will not be another disto or anything like that, just an
extra RPM Update server.

Thanks

D Mir