[WBEL-users] alternative mirrors for my purpose?

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:56:03 +0100

On Monday 22 November 2004 21:35, Christian Reeves wrote:
> The mirror that was posted early on
> (http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/whiteboxlinux.org) is a great for
> updating an already 'in-production' machine but the bandwidth is pretty
> slow for my situation. I'm curious if there's other mirrors anyone has
> heard of that would be better suited for the situation below.
>
> My situation: When I build servers I don't install ANYTHING at all (eg. I
> uncheck everything during the GIUs install process) and built the server
> from scripts utlizing yum depending on the type of machine it will be
> (mailhub, DNS, hosting, database server...etc...) So for my new server
> builds, the initial update process is a beast with a slow update server.
> Granted I update the cache file as part of my scripts and place it in
> /var/yum/cache before each build begins but the actual d/l and install of
> the packages can take many many hours from this mirror. Needless to say I
> think it unfair to hog this generous person's bandwidth (if in fact is is
> a limited pipe - which it seems to be from my end). So are there any
> other mirrors that can oblige my new server builds?

Why not leech the updates tree once, set up an old box as http machine and
use that when building servers? I mirror the updates weekly, copied the
contents of the 3 binary CD's and thus set up my own yum repo.

Specially if you do many servers, this way you will save yourself time and
others valuable bandwitdh. If you just mirror the updates every couple of
days you'll always be up-to-date.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net