[WBEL-users] How to create a "Bodged" Whitebox respin Install CD allow installon new hardware.

Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:01:33 -0600

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 10:38 +0000, Gary Mansell wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to create a "bodged" Whitebox
> install CD that has the latest kernel on it so that it is possible to
> install Whitebox on the latest hardware that is around now.
>
> Looking at the CD and John's instructions, it seems to me that it should
> be easy to put a later kernel on the boot CD by burning a new one with a
> later kernel's vmlinuz file in the /isolinux directory of the CD. This,
> I presume will allow the installer to run with the new hardware. I guess
> that the real problem is how to install the latest kernel rpm at install
> time. Can anyone give me any ideas here?
>
> I presume that the rest of the packages can be up2dated in the normal
> manner after a reboot into the newly installed kernel.
>
> Any help gladly appreciated as I have not been able to install Whitebox
> onto any of the new machines that I have been buying recently

It shouldn't be hard to create a boot ISO with all the latest updates on
it.

Before trying though, why not see if CentOS, Scientific Linux, or
TaoLinux (which have released RHEL - Update 3 re-spins) kernels will
install on a test machine.  Just download CD-1 iso of either distro and
do a text based minimal install and see if it works.

If the Update 3 stuff works, you could then rebuild the install ISO for
WBEL.