[WBEL-users] alternative mirrors for my purpose?

Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:38:05 -0600

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 19:39 -0500, Hoffmann, Tony wrote:
>    You could also use lftp to do your mirror.  It is supposed to be less
> taxing on the server end than rsync.  Scientific Linux has a web page
> on how to do this to mirror their distro at
>
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/mirror

I took a look at lftp and the above site to see if it would be easy to
use lftp to mirror a site.  The only thing I see that is negative about
an lftp mirror is that there is no md5 type comparison for the mirrored
files.

The positives are:

1. You can use ftp, http, sftp, hftp or fxp to do the mirror.
2.  The server doesn't need any special setup to be done to mirror a
directory.

Something as simple as this can mirror specific directories (I will use
filenames similar to SL example above, and show how to mirror the
updates {minus SRPMS} in a local directory using http or ftp):
---------
1.  create a mirror directory on your server ...

mkdir /whitebox/3.0/en/updates

2.  Create a file called download.background that contains this (I just
picked a random WBEL http server to sync with):

open
http://ftp.kspei.com/mirrors/whiteboxlinux.org/whitebox/3.0/en/updates/

lcd /whitebox/3.0/en/updates

mirror  --delete --exclude SRPMS

3. call the lftp program to read your file ...

lftp -f download.background
--------
1.  The do the same thing via ftp ... the create download.background
would be:

set ftp:list-options -a

open ftp.kspei.com:mirrors/whiteboxlinux.org/whitebox/3.0/en/updates

lcd /whitebox/3.0/en/updates

mirror  --delete --exclude SRPMS

2.  Then you would do the same command to mirror on your server .....

lftp -f download.background
--------
So, I second the recommended use of lftp to mirror ...

I randomly picked ftp.kspei.com as an example ... not to specifically
recommend it above any of the other mirrors.

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>