[WBEL-users] Virtual memory tuning?

Christian Nygaard chris@math.uu.se
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:38:53 +0100 (CET)

Hi I'm running a couple of WBEL boxes with many users on them which in
turn is running out of memory thus swapping much. Now the impact is that
the system only freezes for moments when its swapping out pages to disk,
then everything is running fine again. Does anyone know how to tune the
kernel so it swaps more constantly/swaps out less pages, so the freeze
effect is not so apparent? It runs smooth for long amounts of time, then
freezes for 10-15 seconds, then runs smooth again and so forth.

I've tried to fiddle on vm.bdflush and vm.pagecache

Thankful for any good /proc/sys/vm hints :)
Chris