[WBEL-users] NXServer\FreeNX Working on Whitebox

Rob Thomas Rob Thomas <welshblob@gmail.com>
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:30:50 +0100

Hi All,
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd bring it to the
list. NXServer\FreeNX is a Windows Terminal Server\Citrix type
application for Linux that uses a very good X compression method that
apparently can run a session over a 9.6k link. I've been testing it
over an ADSL line with a 256k uplink and it performs very well
although I have yet to see how many sessions it can support. Another
handy feature is that it can proxy WTS (RDP) and VNC (RFB) sessions
from other machines on your network so that you benefit from the
better X compression. Most of the NXServer is GPL'ed but you have to
buy it. FreeNX is free and uses the GPL'ed parts of the NXServer code.
For more information on these tools look at the no machine website
where you can download evaluation versions and also the free nxclient
application ... http://www.nomachine.com.
FreeNX can be found at
http://kalyxo.freedesktop.org//bin/view/Main/WebHome and was
originally built for Debian but is also included in Knoppix 3.6.
Various other people have now started rebuilding it for other distros.
Here is the one for Fedora which works on Whitebox
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/. Here is the