[WBEL-users] Hi and Thanks

Daniel J. Summers danieljs@knology.net
Fri, 08 Oct 2004 01:56:19 -0500

Rocky C wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I have downloaded White box Linux and I am trying to install a 3rd
> party software. However, that software is only certified for RHEL
> Advanced Server. Since WB linux is a clone of that, I was suggested I
> go for WB Linux.

A good suggestion, aye.

>    Given that, can I assume all the instructions supplied for the RHEL
> AS applies to WB? And how different is WB from RHEL AS? Is there no
> difference other than the logos?

That's the goal.  :)  And, from what I've seen, that's the way it
works.  All they do is recompile the original source RPMs after removing
logos and such, and they're good to go.  There's a HOWTO on the main
site that tells how it's done, if you're interested.  (And, if your 3rd
party software still gripes about not being on RHEL, do a "locate
whitebox-release" (I can't remember where it is off the top of my head),
then make a sym-link called "redhat-release" that points to the
whitebox-release file.  I've heard that that will fix it right up.)

>    Also what is your patch/upgrade policy and frequency? Do you
> intimate us by emails?

Patches are turned around pretty quick - as they become available from
Red Hat.  It's not to the point of some distributions, that'll announce
they're out the same day Red Hat releases it - but its quicker if
there's a security issue.

I've never been "intimated" with e-mail - never been "intimidated"
either.  :)  You can run yum at your leisure (or not at all, if you
don't care about updates), and unless you sign up for a list such as
this one, you'll never even know that anyone at WBEL knows who you are.
It's been a great choice for me learning Linux.  I've had some issues,
but they've all been on my end - and, a little research mixed with a
little help from here goes a long way.

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++