[WBEL-users] Some BIND questions

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:27:16 -0500

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 01:48:51PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 01:05 PM 10/11/2004, Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
>

> >In reality, I believe that RH/WB would like you to fiddle with
> >named.custom.
>
> Well the GUI tool did it to named.conf

Right, the GUI will edit named.conf, any hand edits you want to
make, should go to named.custom.  I assumed you editted named.conf
directly.  I can't say anything nice about GUI tools.  Some people
want the "one true GUI" tool to config anything.  I'd much prefer
text files (I know that makes me werid).

> >> How do I reload the files?  Neither ndc or rndc are found. (rndc reload).
> >
> >When run as root:
> >"service named restart" works for me.
>
> I SU'ed in a terminal window and get command not found.

Hmmm, curious.  Something sounds seriously wrong I just tried that
with quotes, and got the error.  The quotes were there to offset it
from text, not meant to be used as part of the command.  Did you
install named from the RPM?

[root@hawk root]# service named restart

> >/usr/sbin/rndc is there on my machine from the bind package.
>
> I will cd to that dir and see what happens
>
> >You might have to make sure the keys are setup correctly to use it.
> >
> >[root@hawk etc]# which rndc
> >/usr/sbin/rndc
> >[root@hawk etc]# rpm -q -f /usr/sbin/rndc
> >bind-9.2.4-EL3_10
>
> How does this show the keys are set up right?

Sorry, that was poorly worded reply.  That was meant to show you
that if you have the RPM installed, rndc should also be installed.
I vaguely recall having problems using rndc because I didn't have
the keys configured, so I mentioned that in passing.

	Thanks,
		Kirby