[WBEL-users] How configure up2date without X ?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:59:00 -0500

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:46:23PM -0300, Rafael Marconi Ramos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new user of White Box.
>
> I installed WB in my web server. I need update WB, but i do not have X
> in my machine.

I'm not sure how to do the config graphically, but there is a
terminal based up2date, named up2date-nox.  I never use that, I just
setup yum and use it directly.

When I run:
[root@hawk root ]# up2date --configure

In a text console it lets me configure it, however, it's not
userfriendly at all.  So it looks like it autodetects if you have an
X session available.

> How configure up2date without X ?
See the above, or alternatively edit the files in:
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/

Most likely the file you'll want to edit is "sources".

> What are config files ?

If you configure it to use yum, you might need to configure
/etc/yum.conf

I've found that yum is just so much easier then up2date that it's
all I use now.  I do keep yum configured enough to keep the
rhn-applet working but that's it.

Hope this helps,
	Kirby