[WBEL-users] Raid

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:40:20 -0700

Interesting too.

My SWRaid drives are Samsungs, my backup drives are maxtors.  They're so
loud I usually idle them down but for the 0300 backup run.

Having said that, I'm all but abandoning SWRaid and looking to get, yes,
a 3ware IDE HWRaid card.  In order to hose my SWRaid, I can:
  - set up 3x160 Raid-5  hd[c or f] hdf hdg
  - mkfs.ext3 /ded/md0
  - cp -a /home/* /mnt/new   (60Gb)

Guaranteed to hose it, mark it read-only, refuse unmounting and require
an eventual reboot of the system.  Me, I'm rather thinking it's a load
issue, for the box is busied with the cp.  Then again, I'm all but
unwilling to accept the idea that a linux box can fall over so badly on
a task I thought to be a bit more common.

(yayyy)

  - bish
the guy with 480Gb of
useless drives this week