[WBEL-users] Postfix question

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:49:36 -0500

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 12:14 +0800, Plug n Play wrote:

> I¢m using whitebox linux with postfix installed.
>
> Is there a way for a some user to hide their email address
>
> and ip address as well. Because the ip address of the user
>
> is shown in the detail section of the email.

It is possible that someone can spoof both the "From IP address" and the
"From E-mail address" ...

The "from e-mail address" is very easy to spoof (Windows viruses do it
all the time) ... the "from IP address" is a little harder to spoof, but
it can be done.

As far as spam is concerned, spammers break into windows and linux PCs
that don't get security updates, then install a trojan horse that allows
them to install programs, then they install programs to route spam.
They don't need to Spoof the "from IP address" because it doesn't belong
to them ... it belongs to some unlucky guy whose computer they have
taken over ;)

Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>