[WBEL-users] Updating rpms need headers?

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King@lmit.com
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:22:24 -0500

I have a group of systems that I need to install patches on before they go
live on the network. Before I do though I was curious if I can do upgrades
without the need to go to a mirror site, download the headers and then the
rpms.

The servers are in-between firewalls (each between a different set of
firewalls) in which only very specific data is allowed to pass. Ftp, http
and rsync to or from these servers falls under the blocked category.

So I have obtained another system using my same software load that is not
production but can be used to validate and test updates. Once gpg checked
and through the patch process checks I will be wanting to load these patches
to the other systems. To do this I will sftp the rpms to the machines.

Once a copy of the updated rpms is pushed can I simply rpm -Uvh
/path/to/rpmfiles/file.rpm?  Are the headers only for yum or is there
something in the headers I will need?

Thanks,

Greg King