[WBEL-users] Install and Remove Applications

Paul Pianta pantz@lqt.ca
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:16:55 -0400

Bill_Wimmer@dom.com wrote:

>I am having a problem with WHEL R1 and R2.  Under both operating systems,
>if I try to install an additional application using the graphical install
>the process ends on an error "There was an error, program terminating".  It
>appears to happen when the system goes to access the CD for the first
>package.  The system never prompts for the CD.  This has happened on most
>of the 18 computers that I have running WHEL.
>
>I was unable to find any information in the mailing lists but was hoping
>someone could point out something 'stupid' that I am doing.

I've personally never had any luck with the gui for installing packages
because it would bug out on me all the time.

In my search for an alternative I met a new friend - yum. You should
meet him too - he is very helpful when it comes to installing packages -
and is so nice that he will do most of the work for you. Most of the
time you only have to say 3 words to him and you can trust him to get
the job done.
'yum update' is often good to have the latest packages updated on your
machine.
'yum install packagename' will install the package and any dependencies
it needs.

Forget about the gui - go yum!

pantz