[WBEL-users] Warning: starting BIND in a chroot jail

Raymond Lillard rlillard@sonic.net
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:29:10 -0700

Dear WhiteBox-Users

Today I installed respin1 on a system and the used
"yum" to bring everything up-to-date.

Next I began to configure the system and found a
problem with the latest version of the file
"/etc/init.d/named".  Unfortunately, there are no
CVS revision tags in the file, so i can only say
is appears to be the latest.  Also I have no means
of knowing if this problem is inherited from RHEL
or is locally grown.

Specifically, the problem is that the latest version
of the file has added a command "named-checkconf"
around line 41 which needs to be told that a chroot
jail is being used.

I added the option "-t ${ROOTDIR}" to the command line
and all is well.

This file tweak is crude and needs to be handled more
gracefully, but I've got a system to get up.  This msg
is just fair warning to save others the time to chase
this down.  I've noted the problem in the machine's
logbook and am moving on.

Regards all,
Ray