[WBEL-users] Determining the Cause of a Kernel Panic

Randy Kelsoe randykel@swbell.net
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:51:57 -0500

Daniel J. Summers wrote:

> How does one determine the cause of a kernel panic (when the computer
> freezes, and the caps/num/scroll lock lights blink)?  I've had a
> couple this morning, and they seem to go away with a reboot (although
> I did get one during a boot).  I'm suspicious of my network setup, but
> without knowing how to find a log or dump or something like that, I
> don't know what's causing it.  Thanks...

General system logs are in /var/log/ and you should start with 'messages'.
A freeze is not a panic. A lot of times with a freeze, you will not see
anything in the logs. There are also different kinds of freezes, or lock
ups. If you have another machine on the network, you can try to ping or
ssh into the box when it appears locked up. You can also try a
'Ctrl-Alt-Backspace' to restart X.
Which mobo are you using? Have you updated your BIOS to the latest
version? What other hardware are you using? Are you using a stock WBEL
kernel, or have you compiled your own?

Have you tried running memtest86 on the machine? If not, you can get the
Ultimate Boot CD at:

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

boot from it and run memtest86 overnight if possible. If you have a
flaky memory dimm, it will probably find it. If you get no errors with
memtest, you might also run the disk diags for your hard drive and see
if that finds anything. If you sill don't see any errors, reboot, and
try the dmesg command. See if you can find anything unusual there.