[WBEL-users] Re: Re: [WBEL-users] Determining the Cause of a Kernel Panic

Benjamin J. Weiss Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@birdvet.org
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:53:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 timspam@meanor.net wrote:

> Something else to try is to turn on the "magic SysRq" key.  To enable
> this at boot, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and make sure the line
> "kernel.sysrq = 1" is there.  To enable this on a running system, echo
> 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq.   Once this is done, you can hit
> "alt-sysrq-m" at a console to get a memory dump to the screen.  (Note:
> to get to a console from X, hit ctrl-alt-f5, then ctrl-alt-f7 to get
> back to X).  This may give you a hint at what the problem is - often,
> if it's a process, it'll show up in the output.  You can also do a
> "alt-sysrq-b" to reboot the system, alt-sysrq-c will crash the system
> and send the dump to a netdump server, if one is configured (netdump is
> handy).  See /usr/src/linux/documentation/sysrq.txt for more details.
> I've seen otherwise unresponsive systems respond to the sysrq key.
>
> -Tim

Um...this is very cool....but where on my 101-key keyboard is the sysreq
key?  I see Prt Scr (print screen), Scroll Lock, Pause, and the arrows,
etc.  What's the sysreq?

Thanks!

Ben