[WBEL-users] Preparing Security Updates

Jesse j@lumiere.net
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:03:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Michael Rock wrote:

> Hi, can someone tell me what is involved in the
> process of making RHEL updates usable for Whitebox
> linux?
> I want to move my public servers to Whitebox but are
> looking for a contingency plan in case Whitebox for
> some reason does not produce timely RHEL security
> updates. (for example lets say John decides not to
> continue updates, falls behind due to some unforseen
> event or in the unusual case the project dies)

For the vast majority of packages, it's just a matter of rpm --rebuild on
the RHEL SRPMS. Some packages need adjustments like you say. Other
packages rely on RPMs not provided with RHEL (stuff from RH9). John has
included these RPMs inthe lostrpms/ directory.

If for some reason John disappeared and we were unable to gain access to
the WBEL mirrors, you could build your own stuff, or most likely, you
could easily "convert" to CentOS, another RHEL clone. They're similar
enough that you can "switch" back and forth fairly readily.

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>