[WBEL-users] Determining the Cause of a Kernel Panic

Jesse j@lumiere.net
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:43:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Daniel J. Summers wrote:

> How does one determine the cause of a kernel panic (when the computer
> freezes, and the caps/num/scroll lock lights blink)?  I've had a couple
> this morning, and they seem to go away with a reboot (although I did get
> one during a boot).  I'm suspicious of my network setup, but without
> knowing how to find a log or dump or something like that, I don't know
> what's causing it.  Thanks...

If you have a supported network card, you can try setting up netdumps.
http://www.redhat.com/support/wpapers/redhat/netdump/

up2date netdump

You can have your system dump a full memory image to another machine, or
just a copy of the kernel panic messages via syslog.

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>