[WBEL-users] ctl script for postgresql -- Part II

Graham Purcocks grahamp@wsieurope.com
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:05:40 +0100

--------------000905060009070100040007

Whats actually in /var/lib/pgsql? Is this where you have your database?

Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If i run as postgres the command:
>
> # /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> i get:
>
> "[postgres@nau ]$ /usr/bin/postmaster -D /usr/bin/postmaster -D
> /var/lib/pgsql
> FATAL:  "/var/lib/pgsql" is not a valid data directory
> DETAIL:  File "/var/lib/pgsql/PG_VERSION" is missing.
> [postgres@nau ]$ /usr/bin/postmaster -D /usr/bin/postmaster -D
> /var/lib/pgsql/data
> LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by
> protocol
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2004-09-08 16:09:16 WEST
> LOG:  could not open file "/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/0000000000000001"
> (log file 0, segment 1): No such file or directory
> LOG:  invalid primary checkpoint record
> LOG:  could not open file "/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/0000000000000001"
> (log file 0, segment 1): No such file or directory
> LOG:  invalid secondary checkpoint record
> PANIC:  could not locate a valid checkpoint record
> LOG:  startup process (PID 15063) was terminated by signal 6
> LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
> [postgres@nau ]$"
>

> Is this not recoverable ?
>
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> Warm Regards,
> Mário Gamito
>
> Graham Purcocks wrote:
>
>> I see 2 possibilities.
>>
>> Either you've upgraded to a newer version of postgres which has a
>> different database format and so you need to convert it. The
>> instructions on how to do this, will be in the place it says.
>>
>> or
>>
>> The database is trashed and so you need to recover from a backup.
>>
>> You should know better which it is. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
>>
>> Mário Gamito wrote:
>>
>>> Ok,
>>>
>>> I've found the script, but when i try to start postgresql i get the
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to
>>> upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee
>>> $SYSDOCDIR/rh-postgresql-$PGVERSION/README.rpm-dist for more
>>> information."
>>>

>>> What is going on ?
>>> I'm completely lost :(
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Warm Regards,
>>> Mário Gamito

--------------000905060009070100040007

begin:vcard
fn:Graham Purcocks
n:Purcocks;Graham
org:WSI Ltd;Engineering
adr:Hockley;;22-24 Vittoria Street;Birmingham;W.Midlands;B1 3PE;U.K.
email;internet:grahamp@wsieurope.com
title:Consultant Engineer
tel;work:+44 121 233 7600
tel;fax:+44 121 233 7666