[WBEL-users] NIS *** Solved ***

Denis Croombs denis@just-servers.co.uk
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:35:25 +0100

> > I am using NIS on some thin client servers which works untill we
> > change/reset the password then the user can login to the main NIS server
but
> > not the clients is there an easy way of updating the client server
systems ?

> Are you running nscd on the clients?  (It does client-side caching of
> items, including user passwords).
>
> *how* are you change/resetting passwords?  Via yppasswd (good)?  Some
> other mechanism (which doesn't necessarily update NIS)?

No the clients are not running "nscd", just rpc.yppasswdd & ypbind.
But I have now found that by dong what Pete Biggs proposed on the server "cd
/var/yp make"
rebuilds the database and it gets picked up by the clients straight away.

I now rebuild this every 5 minutes (cron job) as we have approx 1000
users(School children) and they keep loosing their passwords ! and the admin
staff use webmin to re-set the passwords.

Thanks for the help

Denis

believed to be clean.

Marvin the E-Mail scanner