[WBEL-users] tmpwatch command

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:51:44 -0500

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:35:17AM -0600, Jason Becker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My servers don't get rebooted very often but when they do I'd like /tmp
> to be cleared out. I really like the *BSD clear_tmp_enable (in rc.conf)
> method for doing this. Linux has tmpwatch. Would someone care to share
> there command line for a cron job?

/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch

It's a standard part of most recent RedHat releases.

If you really want to have it cleared, use tmpfs instead of a real
filesystem (it'd be more real "UNIX" like from what I'm told).  I
know someone just today replied with how well it works on the list.

There is where I first read about it, it's written by the guy who
started Gentoo:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-fs3.html

However, I'm told that tmpfs has caused weird problems in the past
on several lists I'm on.  Essentially, using readdir while files are
being added or removed might not work the way a standard filesystem
does (the list isn't stable, so if a file "A" is removed, file "B"
might show up via readdir twice, once before "A" was removed, and
once after "A" was removed).  I'm not sure that it still exists, but
I know that it caused problems for both BitKeeper and for
Subversion.

	Don't ask, I don't get it.  I know that lots of people do this,
but every once in a while it'll cause problems with applications.
My personal best "/tmp", is that if /tmp is a softlink, on some
versions of Linux Kernel/glibc you won't be able to change your
crontab entry using vim as your editor.  There's some kind of race
condition.  I've learned it's just best to just use a standard
filesystem for it, and have a dedicate partition for it.

	Kirby