[WBEL-users] Samba and XP SP2

Daniel J. Summers danieljs@knology.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:54:35 -0500

Nigel Kendrick wrote:

>I was having problems using my 3 Samba shares mapped to my WBEL server
>recently - 2 were very slow and one just refused to connect and if I re-ran
>the batch file to make the mapping it insisted on trying to map the
>connection as guest and then failed.
>
>On a hunch, I disabled the XP Service Pack 2 firewall and all's working
>again now.
>
>Having done a google search it seems this is a known problem so does anyone
>have any insight specific to WBEL?

That firewall is something else - I haven't installed SP2 on my wife's
or my work computers for just that reason.  Can you define specific
ports to keep open?  Running with the XP firewall disabled isn't really
that big of a deal, especially if you had your network otherwise secured
before SP2.  Anyway, if you can define specific ports (and the LAN folks
at work indicated that you can), and you want the SP2 firewall, just
define those ports (not sure which ones those are, but I'm sure Google
knows) and you should be good to go.

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++