[WBEL-users] Anyone Using Gigibit Ethernet with White Box?

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:09:12 +0200

On Saturday 18 September 2004 02:57, George Salt wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anyone recommend a gigabit ethernet pci card that
> works well with WBEL?  Any driver issues I should be
> aware of?

Broadcom 5788 chipset works just fine in Gigabit mode here (although mine's an
onboard, I'd expect PCI cards to do just fine as well. Please note that with
PCI you'll never reach full gigabyte speed since that would hose the PCI bus)

But I've yet to discover the advantage of 1000Mbit vs 100Mbit in most
real-life applications. So far I'm not upgrading anything, most things here
still run off 10Mbit and work fine (all JetDirect modules for instance)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree        | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net