[WBEL-users] Anyone Using Gigibit Ethernet with White Box?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:59:30 -0500

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 02:07:53PM -0700, George Salt wrote:
> Thanks for the input.  Initially, I was primarily
> concerned with driver support for the gigabit cards;
> however, that's a good point about the bandwidth
> limitations in the PCI bus.
>
> Basically, I'm putting together a small Beowulf
> cluster with some older P3 machines.  This is a home
> hobbyist/grad school project, not a serious production
> system.  A marginal improvement in speed may not
> justify the extra cost of gigabit cards.

	Just a heads up, they say you can't take full advantage of a
Gigabit card with anything slower then about 800Mhz.  I use Intel
e1000's on a fairly regular basis.  Those appear to work okay.

	I've got a couple of the low end $45 at CompUSA NetGear cards, I
can't even tell you the model (I believe they only have 1 gigabit
model).  They appear to work just fine.

	This is the output of the dmesg for the network card that is
built into all of the IBM servers we use in production.  They are
very, very fast, and have been very stable for us.

tg3.c:v1.2e4 (Feb 20, 2003)
eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95703A30) rev 1002 PHY(5703)] (PCIX:100MHz:64-bit) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet

	No idea if you can buy them as a separate card at all.

	The place where you really get bit on the networking end, is
that a cheap switch can really affect your network.  So you might be
leary of the lowend switches until you see some decent benchmarks
out of them.  We had that problem with a cheap switch we picked up,
it was a "store and forward" style.  So, while it was 1Gbit switch,
it had a bit of latency, which lead to problems running NFS over it
(NFS is fairly latency sensitive, you can have all the bandwidth in
the world, but if it has a 100ms latency, it will suck performance
wise).  We bought a better switch, and we saw serious performance
improvements (Dell PowerConnect 5224, which is really an OEM'ed
Cisco switch, but I don't know the Cisco model number).

	That's something you might also want to contemplate with it.

		Thanks,
			Kirby